As Ogden’s economy booms, the need for skilled workforce is critical to attract new companies, improve the city’s employment portfolio, increase household income, and cultivate and retain commerce. I will continue to lead community coordination of education, government and industry partners in Northern Utah for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) to prepare Ogden's workforce to access high-paying jobs.
TOGETHER WE HAVE:
• Driven the Mayor’s STEM Initiative to align resources that will prepare Ogden's workforce for STEM job pipeline.
• Partnered with Ogden School District and Ogden City to receive a $300,000 STEM Professional Learning Community grant that will bolster students’ readiness for STEM-related careers in partnership with Hill Air Force Base, Department of Workforce Services, Weber State University (WSU), Ogden-Weber Applied Technical College (OWATC), Northrup Grumman, Parker Hannifin, Purch, Williams International, and Logistics Specialties Inc.
• Supported Utah Cluster Acceleration Partnership at OWATC and WSU in program development.
• Received designation as a Utah Advanced Materials and Manufacturing Initiative (UAMMI) community.
TOGETHER WE WILL:
• Continue resource alignment for STEM program development.
• Activate the STEM grant and expand high school certificate pathways in Advanced Composites, IT/Software and Engineering.
• Increase the number of high school students who earn industry-recognized STEM credentials for in-demand careers.
• Use UAMMI funding to create a Solutions Center in Ogden to develop innovation in advanced materials and manufacturing.